The Founding of Melzingah Chapter
The first order of business, was selection of a name. Melzingah was selected as "the most pleasing to the ear and also associated with the old tradition of the place." The chapter's charter was delivered by the New York State Society, of the DAR, on June 4, 1896, and was presented to our Founding Regent, Katherine Wolcott (later Verplanck), at the Madam Brett Homestead.
Chapter members took an immediate interest in preserving local historic sites. The graves of approximately 50 Revolutionary War soldiers were marked, and impressive monuments raised at significant Revolutionary War associated sites in southern Dutchess County. Road signs were erected to denote locations of colonial interest.
One of the most prominent of Melzingah's monuments, is the tall stone "beacon" dedicated July 4, 1900, atop Mount Beacon. It was dedicated to the men who were stationed atop the mountain during the American Revolution as part of a series of signal fires. To this day, it serves as a reminder of their valor and as a symbol for the city which chose the name "Beacon" in recognition of the site's significance.
To read more about several Melzingah Chapter monument dedications, of a more than a century ago, visit the Fishkill Ridge Caretakers website. There you will find verbatim transcripts of some of our dedication ceremonies from the late 1800s.
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR,
the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.